Retina Specialist in Stafford

Diagnosing and Treatments Macular Degeneration in Stafford

To say the least, it’s unpleasant to learn that you have an eye disease that is progressively robbing you of your central vision. That’s exactly the case with age-related macular degeneration, or AMD. Here at The Retina Group of Washington, retinal conditions are our specialty, so count on us for expert diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment options. It’s not a curable disease, but it can be managed effectively, allowing you to retain a significant amount of vision and to slow the advancement of AMD.

Macular degeneration is the single most common reason for vision loss in those at least 60 years of age. However, the beginnings of where it is problematic start much earlier. Our retina specialist in Stafford recommends yearly screenings from 40 and up. About the only positive thing that can be said about AMD is that it is not typically associated with complete blindness. Women are more at risk than men, and factors that contribute to AMD include obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and smoking. A genetic link exists, too. In the early stages, there are usually no obvious symptoms. Later on, when AMD becomes advanced, it’s likely that you would notice dim or distorted vision, and blind spots appearing within the middle of your visual field. Straight lines may appear way, also. Our retina specialist in Stafford will diagnose you by conducting a comprehensive eye examination using advanced testing and equipment, as well as looking for the presence of yellow deposits called drusen, which are the markers for dry AMD, which comprise about 90% of cases. The other 10% are wet AMD. Upon positive diagnosis, possible treatments will be discussed, including the use of devices that can help maximize your vision, and in specific circumstances, you might be able to benefit from an implant device.

Contact our office to schedule an appointment with our retina specialist in Stafford. Macular degeneration is a serious condition,and the more quickly it is addressed, the better the outcome is likely to be.

The Retina Group of Washington
1500 Dixon Street, Suite 204
Fredericksburg, VA Retina Doctor in Stafford
(540) 654-5333